1. Organises and directs pre-trial investigation.
2. Controls the activities of pre-trial investigation officers in criminal proceedings.
3. Prosecutes on behalf of the State.
4. Supervises the submission of the judgements for enforcement and the enforcement thereof.
5. Co-ordinates the actions of the pre-trial investigation bodies.
6. Conducts pre-trial investigation or individual actions of pre-trial investigation.
7. Protects the public interest.
8. Examines petitions, applications and complaints submitted by individuals.
9. Takes part in the drawing up and implementation of national and international crime prevention programmes.
10.Takes part in the legislative process.